Sunday, scouts from Troop 35 packed their bags, climbed on to buses and headed off to the 2013 National Scout Jamboree at the Summit Bechtel Reserve near Mount Hope, West Virginia. A couple of the troop’s leaders – Mr. Leonard and Mr. Bottom were already there waiting for the troop’s scouts and getting ready for over 40,000 more! They have been tweeting and posting pictures – you can see them re-tweeted on @WheatonTroop35’s Twitter feed on the right hand side of the browser or you can follow along on Twitter.
While there are many scouts making the trip to the National Scout Jamboree there are plenty of scouts staying back waiting (and dreaming) for their turn. The troop has plenty of activities planned for the next month so scouts can enjoy summer to its fullest!
- 7/16 – Troop Fishing Derby “It’ll be an ‘Off the Hook Time:” Come join us for a Fishing Derby! Prizes will be awarded, so bring your poles and be ready for a “whale of a time”! We will meet in the west parking lot (off Herrick Road) and car pool to Mr. Bassor’s pond (not far away) we just don’t want to overcrowd his driveway. Please arrive at 6:45 PM so we can leave a few minutes before 7 PM in order to cast off as early as possible. If you don’t have a pole, come anyway! A Scout is resourceful – we’ll have line and hooks available to make your own pole – and if you have extra poles you are willing to share – please bring those with you as well.
- 7/23 – Swimming: Come join us for a fun evening of swimming at Rice Lake Pool from 5PM to 8PM
- 7/30 – PLC: Monthly Patrol Leaders meeting to discuss and plan the events for the coming month. All scouts (and parents welcome)
- 8/1 – Troop Committee Meeting: Monthly meeting to discuss and plan the coming month’s activities. All parents are welcome.
- 8/9 to 8/11 – Camping: tent camping at Warren Dunes at Warren Dunes State Park near Warren, Michigan
- Work on those advancement opportunities – Tenderfoot, Second Class, First Class and beyond – check your scout book to make sure you are prepared to make the move to the next rank
- Merit badges – do you have any merit badges you need to finish while you have time? School will be back in session before you know it.
- Do you need to sew anything new onto your uniform? Such as new rank, patrol patches, or job titles? Remember Class Bs are the summer uniform, but see above for the return to Class As after Labor Day.