This weekend you should see Troop 35 scouts scurrying around your neighborhood delivering wreaths and holiday cheer. They worked hard to sell their wreaths and now they will be delivering them. That’s a lot of fun and a lot of work!
If you didn’t order a wreath or greenery to decorate your home – don’t despair, Troop 35 will be selling at our traditional holiday retail locations beginning Friday November 29th at 9AM.
- Dominick’s @ Danada East parking lot between KFC and IHOP
- Gary United Methodist @ 224 N. Main St, Wheaton, IL 60187
From the Scout Handbook – “A SCOUT IS THRIFTY. A Scout works to pay his way and to help others. He saves for the future. He protects and conserves natural resources. He carefully uses time and property.”
Each scout earned money they can use to ‘pay their own way’ whether it’s troop dues, summer camp, or high adventure like Sea Base, Philmont Scout Ranch, or next summer’s trip to the Boundary Waters and a week’s worth of back country camping and canoeing.
Take a look at the fun on these faces – you gotta wanna!
making a list and checking it twice
Bears fans are wreath fans!
this wreath is BIGGER than the scout!
greens, greens, and more greens!
boxes of! fun
organizing all of the scout’s orders takes time!
and a Saturday morning
scout not included
pine cones and greens
our makeshift storage facility
there is a scout in there – somewhere!
donuts help the wreath distribution hum right along
- Wreath Sales are underway and going strong – total so far is over $13,000 towards our $60,000 goal – we can do it! Congratulations to Brandon B and William W for being our “Top Dog” for weeks 1 and 2! Keep selling – this week’s challenge is “Overall total sales”!
- October 12th 1pm-5pm – Davis W’s Eagle Project – County Farm at Great Western Trail- more details to follow.
- October 18th-19th – Camping at Blackwell Forest Preserve for JOTA (Jamboree On the Air) – we will set up our ham radio demonstration for the Webelos Recruitment on Saturday afternoon and connect with others around the world during the annual JOTA event occurring all weekend long.
- October 19th 2pm-5pm– Webelos Recruitment at Blackwell Forest Preserve – Youth Camping Area – We will be demonstrating Ham Radios as well as Dutch oven cooking, fire building and more!
- November 2nd 9am-2pm – Ham Radio Merit Badge at Wheaton Police Department. Contact Kevin Oleniczak if interested in participating.
- November 9th – Annual Three Fires Council Training Academy 8am-4pm. Various training for Adult Leaders offered as well as Senior Patrol Leader and Den Chief Training.
- November 23rd – Wreath Distribution at Winfield Church. Times TBD, usually in the morning around 9-11am. All scouts are required to attend to sort the wreaths and take home their product. Distribution of individual sales should be completed by Tuesday, November 26th.
- November 29th – December 1st – Retail sales at Gary Church and Dominicks – sign up for times to work the sales.
Upcoming Troop Meetings
- Oct 1st – PLC
- Oct 8th – Tentative at Winfield Church – Patrol Box Painting
- Oct 15th – Regular Troop meeting at Gary Church
- Oct 22nd – Regular Troop meeting at Gary Church
- Oct 29th – Webelos recruitment – Pumpkin Carving!
- Sept. 27th-29th – Tent camping at Ice Age Trail
- Oct. 25th-27th – Tent camping and Troop Bike Ride. Location TBD
- Nov. 15th-17th – Ray’s BMX Bike Park
- Committee Meeting – September 26th, 7-8:30pm (all parents are welcome to attend)
- Committee Meeting – October 24th, 7-8:30pm (all parents are welcome to attend)
Our troop has been busy with Eagle projects. We have had 4 scouts over the past several months work on their Eagle projects. Congratulations to Jacob P, Adam K, Steven S and Anthony S. Projects have ranged from building stairs and shelves for a the high school theatre department, clearing invasive species at the Morton Arboretum, upgrading a busy corner of the Illinois Prairie Path and installing a bench, and collecting food and toiletry items to send care packages to troops overseas. What great projects! Our scouts have made an impact on the communities around us. We are very proud of all of them and thanks to all the scouts and their parents for standing behind our scouts to get this done. Check out the photos below to see some of our scouts in action.
Jacob – Stairs are looking good
Stairs all done!
Adam’s – Morton Arboretum
Adam – Job Well Done!
Steven – Prairie Path Work
Starting to Look Pretty
Hard at Work
Anthony – Donations Sorted
Donations filled the trunk
Job all done – Time to eat!
Friday, 8/16 3-7pm, Saturday, 8/17 9-1 or later if needed and Sunday, 9/18 if needed (time TBD) – Steven S. Eagle Project!
- Steven is sprucing up the entrance to the Prairie Path on the northwest corner of County Farm and Geneva Roads (across the street from Walgreens). He needs the help of fellow scouts as well as adults to complete the project. He will be replacing a worn out bench, replacing rotting timbers around three planting beds, trimming the bushes and weeding in the area, then adding fresh mulch.
- How can the scouts help? Volunteers should bring work gloves, eye protection (if you have it – we will have some on site as well), rakes, shovels, pitchforks for mulch, any other garden equipment you feel might be useful.
- There is limited parking at the entrance to the Prairie Path, so we recommend parking across the street in the open areas of the Prairie Trail Center Parking Lot.
- Snacks, water and sandwiches will be provided both days.
- IMPORTANT: Volunteers of any age must fill out the County Special Even Release Waiver (available at meetings and on ScoutTrack) and return to a member of the Stantz Family. Waivers will also be available on site, but advance submission is preferred.
Friday, August 16th 6:00pm – Saturday, August 17th 3:00pm – TLT at Winfield Church – All Scouts holding a leadership role, or hoping to hold one should attend this training. This training is open to all scouts in any rank. We will be helping Steven Stantz on Saturday with his Eagle Project, so please bring a signed waiver with you Friday night. This can be found on Scout Tracks.
Sunday, August 25th! Set up/Take down Gary’s Worship in the Park, 8am set up, 10am worship, 11am picnic, 11:45-12pm take down (ending times subject to change) – Join us at Memorial Park, corner of Hale and Seminary roads, across from Gary Church. We will be setting up tents/tables/chairs etc. for the worship service and picnic that follows. All are welcome to attend the contemporary service and picnic. Hamburgers, hotdogs and drinks will be provided. Feel free to bring a dish to pass. There will also be games for the younger kids. All family members are welcome!
Tuesday, August 27th and Tuesday, October 1st – Salesmanship Merit Badge – Join us at 6:15, before the regular weekly meeting. Mr. Duve will be helping the boys earn their Salesmanship Merit Badge just in time for our wreath sales fundraiser. The boys will learn strategies on how to sell as well as who to sell to. A Scout must attend both sessions to obtain the merit badge.
- August 16th-18 th – Steven S’s Eagle Project – Prairie Path, corner of County Farm and Geneva Rds.
- August 16th 6pm – 17th 3pm – TLT (Troop Leadership Training) Winfield Church
- August 25th 8am-1pm – Set-up/Take-down for Gary Church’s Worship in the Park
- August 27th – 6:16-7pm – Salesmanship Merit Badge at Gary before the regular troop meeting
Upcoming Troop Meetings:
- August 20th – Court of Honor planning and Patrol Method Explanations
- August 27th – Court of Honor planning and Scuba/Dunes presentations
- Sept 3rd – PLC
- Sept 10th – Court of Honor planning and Jamboree presentation
- Sept 17th – Patrol Merit Badges and Wreath Selling Skills
- Sept 24th – Patrol Merit Badges and Campout Planning
- Committee Meeting – August 29th, 7-8:30pm (all parents are welcome to attend)
- Committee Meeting – September 27th, 7-8:30pm (all parents are welcome to attend)