It is Mid-February and spring is on the way, at least that is what the calendar tells us. In the world of Troop 35, we’ve been busy. It is the time of the year when cub Scouts begin crossing over to become Boy Scouts. This year Troop 35 is welcoming 12 new scouts to the troop – they are coming to us because when they visited our troop they made a connection, they have an older brother who’s in the troop, or they simply like what they saw. Regardless the reason, they made the choice to continuing their scouting career and begin the long path to Eagle. Welcome to Troop 35.
Posted in Camping, Leadership, Recruiting, Scout Values, Scouting skills, Troop Communication
Tagged camping, campouts, Eagle Scouts Troop35, Gary United Methodist Church, merit badges, scout recuiting, scout skills, senior patrol leader, the Scout Law, Troop 35, Wheaton Troop 35
Troop 35, we’ve won the lottery!
Boy Scouts of America
Philmont Scout Ranch Expeditions
would like to congratulate
Troop 35 of the Three Fires Council
(Sponsor: Gary Memorial United Methodist Church – Wheaton, IL 60187)
Your unit has been picked as a winner for a reservation in 2015
at Philmont Scout Ranch.
Your arrival date is July 2015.
(Departure: August 2015)
We have your unit confirmed for 2 crews
As with all things in life and scouts – YOU GOTTA WANNA, you gotta wanna go, you gotta wanna pay your way, ’cause a Scout is Thrifty and pays his way. Wreath Sales 2014, look out! Watch this space!
Posted in Camping, Eagle Scout, Leadership, Recruiting, Troop Communication
Tagged camping, long-term goals, Philmont 2015, Philmont Scout Ranch, scout recuiting, scout skills, Troop 35, Wheaton Troop 35
This weekend you should see Troop 35 scouts scurrying around your neighborhood delivering wreaths and holiday cheer. They worked hard to sell their wreaths and now they will be delivering them. That’s a lot of fun and a lot of work!
If you didn’t order a wreath or greenery to decorate your home – don’t despair, Troop 35 will be selling at our traditional holiday retail locations beginning Friday November 29th at 9AM.
- Dominick’s @ Danada East parking lot between KFC and IHOP
- Gary United Methodist @ 224 N. Main St, Wheaton, IL 60187
From the Scout Handbook – “A SCOUT IS THRIFTY. A Scout works to pay his way and to help others. He saves for the future. He protects and conserves natural resources. He carefully uses time and property.”
Each scout earned money they can use to ‘pay their own way’ whether it’s troop dues, summer camp, or high adventure like Sea Base, Philmont Scout Ranch, or next summer’s trip to the Boundary Waters and a week’s worth of back country camping and canoeing.
Take a look at the fun on these faces – you gotta wanna!
making a list and checking it twice
Bears fans are wreath fans!
this wreath is BIGGER than the scout!
greens, greens, and more greens!
boxes of! fun
organizing all of the scout’s orders takes time!
and a Saturday morning
scout not included
pine cones and greens
our makeshift storage facility
there is a scout in there – somewhere!
donuts help the wreath distribution hum right along
- Wreath Sales are underway and going strong – total so far is over $13,000 towards our $60,000 goal – we can do it! Congratulations to Brandon B and William W for being our “Top Dog” for weeks 1 and 2! Keep selling – this week’s challenge is “Overall total sales”!
- October 12th 1pm-5pm – Davis W’s Eagle Project – County Farm at Great Western Trail- more details to follow.
- October 18th-19th – Camping at Blackwell Forest Preserve for JOTA (Jamboree On the Air) – we will set up our ham radio demonstration for the Webelos Recruitment on Saturday afternoon and connect with others around the world during the annual JOTA event occurring all weekend long.
- October 19th 2pm-5pm– Webelos Recruitment at Blackwell Forest Preserve – Youth Camping Area – We will be demonstrating Ham Radios as well as Dutch oven cooking, fire building and more!
- November 2nd 9am-2pm – Ham Radio Merit Badge at Wheaton Police Department. Contact Kevin Oleniczak if interested in participating.
- November 9th – Annual Three Fires Council Training Academy 8am-4pm. Various training for Adult Leaders offered as well as Senior Patrol Leader and Den Chief Training.
- November 23rd – Wreath Distribution at Winfield Church. Times TBD, usually in the morning around 9-11am. All scouts are required to attend to sort the wreaths and take home their product. Distribution of individual sales should be completed by Tuesday, November 26th.
- November 29th – December 1st – Retail sales at Gary Church and Dominicks – sign up for times to work the sales.
Upcoming Troop Meetings
- Oct 1st – PLC
- Oct 8th – Tentative at Winfield Church – Patrol Box Painting
- Oct 15th – Regular Troop meeting at Gary Church
- Oct 22nd – Regular Troop meeting at Gary Church
- Oct 29th – Webelos recruitment – Pumpkin Carving!
- Sept. 27th-29th – Tent camping at Ice Age Trail
- Oct. 25th-27th – Tent camping and Troop Bike Ride. Location TBD
- Nov. 15th-17th – Ray’s BMX Bike Park
- Committee Meeting – September 26th, 7-8:30pm (all parents are welcome to attend)
- Committee Meeting – October 24th, 7-8:30pm (all parents are welcome to attend)
Our troop has been busy with Eagle projects. We have had 4 scouts over the past several months work on their Eagle projects. Congratulations to Jacob P, Adam K, Steven S and Anthony S. Projects have ranged from building stairs and shelves for a the high school theatre department, clearing invasive species at the Morton Arboretum, upgrading a busy corner of the Illinois Prairie Path and installing a bench, and collecting food and toiletry items to send care packages to troops overseas. What great projects! Our scouts have made an impact on the communities around us. We are very proud of all of them and thanks to all the scouts and their parents for standing behind our scouts to get this done. Check out the photos below to see some of our scouts in action.
Jacob – Stairs are looking good
Stairs all done!
Adam’s – Morton Arboretum
Adam – Job Well Done!
Steven – Prairie Path Work
Starting to Look Pretty
Hard at Work
Anthony – Donations Sorted
Donations filled the trunk
Job all done – Time to eat!